Thursday, August 28, 2008

J's surgery!

I realized that I forgot to post on this blog that J was having surgery today, to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. So, today she had surgery! :) It has been a rough day for her, and it breaks my heart to see her like this. So, for my own journaling, and your info, here is how our day went...

We had to be at the hospital at 6:45 am. Early! But I was hoping this would be better since she wasn't allowed to eat anything. Of course, once we walked into the hospital, J was very nervous and asking to go home. First, they had to prick her finger for blood, and she screamed. Then, she cried for a long time after that, just waiting to get into a pre-op room. She just kept asking to go home.

About 7:15 we got called back, and she hated just being there. Taking blood pressure, or just getting her to change was a fight. Finally they decided to give her some drug that made her loopy. It helped a ton! All of the sudden she was like a drunk. hahah, it was soo funny! She couldn't stand straight, and was acting very silly. It was nice to have her settled a little.

At 7:45 am, they came to get her for surgery. She left without screaming, thanks to her loopy drugs. Matt and I waited for 45 min, while she had surgery, then had to wake up in recovery. They brought her back crying and in pain. It was so sad! She kept trying to talk, but couldn't, and kept saying she couldn't talk. She still had an IV in her left hand, and was sooooo upset about it that she kept trying to rip out her IV! We had to hold her arms down so that she would stop doing that. :) But she cried and cried to get it taken out. The nurse told her she could not take it out until she ate some popsicle or drank some juice. But all she cared about was getting that IV out. FINALLY after 30 min of fighting her, I begged the nurse to just take out the stupid IV, then she would be happy. And, she was.

After the IV came out, she drank some juice, and promptly fell asleep. J and I laid in the hospital bed for a good while, waiting for them to let us go. We finally left about 10:15 and got to go home.
Since being home, it has been a roller coaster. She did great right when we got home, and then hit bottom and was in soooo much pain. We have been staying on top of her meds perfectly, but it seems that about 1.5 hours before her next dose, the pain hits- and hits hard- and she is miserable. That is when it gets rough. She won't drink, even though drinking is what will help it. She has had a few crying bouts today where she cried so hard, she stopped breathing and turned blue. It has been scary. You can tell she is in pain.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better, then better the next day, and so on. I have pictures of her tonsils before they came out, and so we'll have to take an after picture in a few days. Already I can tell a HUGE difference in her mouth- there is so much room in there already! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Jordyn!! I almost cried reading that! She's so young and helpless. Hopefully things start looking up soon. And it'll all be worth it when she stops getting strep so often! HUGS for both of you! Glad it went as good as can be expected.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby girl! How heartbreaking as a parent to see your child in pain and not being able to do much about it. I hope she recovers quickly.

Anonymous said...

Poor girl!! I hope she feels better soon! My niece had hers out a few years ago and it didn't take long for her to start feeling better. And I had mine out a few years ago, too, and it was seriously THE best thing I ever did, so you won't regret it!

A couple of things--
Did the doctor give you guys a prescription for any steroids? Because that seriously helped with the pain more than any other thing because it keeps the swelling down. You only take it for a couple of days, but it's AMAZING.

Also, are you using ibuprofen as well as the prescription pain killer? Because that should help, too.

Anyway, that is sooooooooooo sad, especially for you! There's nothing worse than seeing them in pain like that! :(

Anonymous said...

Poor kid! I sure feel for her too, being so little and it's hard to understand everything. You're such a sweet mom. I can just picture you snuggled in the hospital bed with Jordyn falling asleep, finally being able to relax and knowing you're there to make it all better. How sweet. I sure hope she feels better soon. Love, Grandma Liz

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carolyn, that is sooo sad. It's gotta be so hard to see her like that. Poor girl! But like you said, it'll get better each day. And she probably won't have much of a memory of this. I hope she has a lot less pain tomorrow. Spoil her rotten!

Anonymous said...

Poor kiddo! I really hope she feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man! Poor girl! My heart goes out to here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!